Hanukkah, Day 8: Tonight is the last night to light the Menorah. Interesting that the Story of Maccabees and Hanukkah took place during the 400 years of darkness between Malachi in the Old Testament and the Gospels in the New Testament when there was no witness. Hanukkah means, “Tell The Story.”
This past Thanksgiving was also the 400th anniversary of the Mayflower compact. In 1621 at Plymouth Rock the Pilgrims put a cross in the ground making a sacred covenant with God that America would be a God fearing Nation. The following is the sermon I preached today at Lewisville Community Church, Lewisville, TX. My Title was Hanukkah, Advent, and the Number 14:
17 So all the generations from Abraham to David are fourteen generations, from David until the captivity in Babylon are fourteen generations, and from the captivity in Babylon until the Christ are fourteen generations.
- Born in Bethlehem (house of bread) Lives in Nazareth (the place of Shame)
- Family has to move to Egypt for 12 years to escape Jesus from being murdered. Twelve is the number of Government in the Bible and the Holy Spirit gave them divine direction for protection. The Wisemen brought gold, frankincense, and myrrh which provided for Joseph and his family in exile.
- Joseph has to send Mary away not to be stoned and Christ birth is surrounded by rumor. Joseph was the legitimate heir to the throne thru the line of David. Joseph had a visitation of an Angel in a dream to give direction.
- He is not received by His own family as the Son of God, the Messiah
- Herod ask Him, Are you the King of the Jews?
- He ask His disciples, Whom do men say that I am? Who do you Say that I am?
- On the cross they place His name and title, The King of the Jews, Nazareth (the place of shame.)
According to Matthew, after three sets of 14 generations, beginning with Abraham and going through David, then Babylonian captivity (Egypt) Jesus showed up.
God kept his promise!
Fourteen is the Hebrew number for the name of David.
The Hebrew words “gold” and “hand” have the numerical number of 14.
When you think of all the generations it took to keep the promise of the Messiah think about this, The word “to bear” and the word “shepherd” are used 14 times in the New Testament. HE HAS TO SHEPHERD HIS PEOPLE FROM GENERATION TO GENERATION TO BEAR THE PROMISES OF GOD. The word “Bear” means to put a demand on it. When you sit on a chair you put a demand on it and it bears you up. When you believe in the death, burial, and resurrection of Yeshua, King Jesus you are putting a demand on your Faith.
In the book of Proverbs the expression “the fear of the Lord” occurs 14 times.
Finally, the words “forgiveness and merciful” are found 14 times in the Bible.
14+14+14=42. Forty Two is the number in Hebrew that breaks a cycle. It shatters the glass ceiling. In the natural think Jackie Robinson, number 42 who broke the barrier of segregation in Major League Baseball.
Yeshua, King Jesus broke the cycle of sin, death, bondage, slavery, and the grave. After 42 generations Jesus Shows Up and says to the devil, “the party is over.”
Forty Two is the manifestation of the PROMISE OF GOD! Things are a certain way and the Promise of God shows up and all of a sudden everything changes.
As we end Hanukkah for another cycle and season there where 22 almonds on the Lamp Stand in Holy of Holies that represent Light. The number 22 represents Light. The word Light is mentioned in the book of John 22 times and the 22nd time mentioned, Jesus says, “I am the Light of the world.” There are 22 books of the epistles in the New Testament and 22 chapters in the book of revelations.
I think it is important to mention that we are about to enter into the year 2022. This Hanukkah season I believe has been a prophetic picture of what Jesus is saying to the church in 2022. Jesus is not only the Light of the world but you His remnant carry the Light of Jesus to the world. Shalom!