Today in the Biblical Calendar is the beginning of what is called, “Dire Straights.” Five great catastrophes occurred in biblical history on this day which is Tammuz 17.
1. Moses broke the tablets at Mount Sinai — in response to the sin of the Golden Calf. (Exo 32:19)
2. The daily offerings in the First Temple were suspended during the siege of Jerusalem, after the Kohanim could no longer obtain animals.
3. Jerusalem’s walls were breached, prior to the destruction of the Second Temple in 70 AD.
4. Prior to the Great Revolt, the Roman general Apostamos burned a Torah scroll – setting a precedent for the horrifying burning of Jewish books throughout the centuries.
5. An idolatrous image was placed in the Sanctuary of the Holy Temple – a brazen act of blasphemy and desecration.
This is a time to reflect on our relationship with Adonai are Father. To learn from Israel’s history and make application to today.
The first one has to do with idol worship. While Moses is communing with Adonai the children of Israel build themselves a golden calf to worship. Moses comes down from Mt. Sinai and sees the golden calf, gets angry and breaks the stone tablets which represents the Covenant God made with Adonai’s finger.
Application: Idolatry in any form or fashion will break covenant with Adonai and cause us to be angry.
Secondly the daily offerings of animals by the priests for the worship and praise of Adonai stop because of the enemies siege on Jerusalem so no animals could be brought into the Tabernacle.
Application: No matter how bad it gets, Yeshua King Jesus has become our daily sacrifice and according to Hebrews 13:10:16, We are to bring a daily sacrifice of praise with our lips.
Thirdly, Jerusalem’s walls were breached on this day before the destruction of the Solomon’s temple in 70A.D.
Application: No matter how chaotic the world seems to be. No matter how hopeless things are going don’t allow the enemy of your soul to breach the walls of your faith and heart.
Fourthly, On this day the Roman general Apostamos burned a Torah scroll before the people mocking Adonai and the Holy Torah.
Application: With all the media bombarding people today through News Sources, Rewriting History as Revisionist, and social media, if ever before we must know the word, memorize the word and believe the Word of God is today. The majority of Christians go to church for years and listen to sermons but not study and read God’s word for themselves.
Fifthly, an idolatrous image was placed in the Sanctuary of the Holy Temple – a brazen act of blasphemy and desecration.
Application: we need to focus on, “whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things.” Phil. 4:8.
May God bless you during these next three weeks to practice and learn from our past and run to Yeshua, King Jesus the author and finisher of our faith. Shalom